May 29, 2014
RUSTON, La. - Louisiana Tech’s Athletic Communications office received two national honors as the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) began announcing its 2013-14 Publications Contest Winners. LA Tech’s football game programs were ranked fourth in the nation while the women’s soccer media guide was voted the best cover in the nation.
Of the 14 awards categories announced by CoSIDA, only Louisiana Tech and Marshall received awards from Conference USA schools with Marshall’s 2013 football game programs ranking 10th in the nation.
The football game programs are judged on a sampling of three different game programs from each school in the Division I level, including FBS and FCS programs. Louisiana Tech’s football game programs came in fourth in the nation, beating out Kansas, LSU, North Dakota State and Notre Dame. Louisiana Tech’s football game programs are organized by Patrick Walsh, Associate Athletic Communications Director, with stories written by members of the athletic communications and university communications staff, including student assistants. Graphics are designed by Donnie Bell Design (www.donniebelldesign.com) and the programs are printed by Interstate Printing in Mobile, Alabama.
The women’s soccer media guide cover was designed by Donnie Bell Design with direction coming from Kane McGuire, assistant athletic communications director at Louisiana Tech.
Walsh has won seven awards over his five years at Louisiana Tech with this being his fifth honor by CoSIDA in his career. He has also been recognized by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association on seven different occasions, including the 2013 LA Tech Track & Field Media Guide and his 2011 football game notes ranking first in Louisiana among all four-year institutions. He serves as the primary media contact for football, track and field, cross country and golf.
This is McGuire’s first award from CoSIDA. He serves as the primary media contact for women’s soccer, men’s basketball and tennis at LA Tech.
For complete coverage of LA Tech Athletics, please follow @LATechSports on Twitter or visit the official home of Louisiana Tech Athletics at LATechSports.com.
Football Game Programs/University
1. Alabama (Rich Davi, Douglas Walker, Brent Hollingsworth)
2. Clemson (Tim Bourrett, Brian Hennessy)
3. West Virginia (WVU Sport Communications)
4. Louisiana Tech (Patrick T. Walsh)
5. Kansas (D.J. Haurin, Katy Lonegran, Jeff Jacobsen)
6. LSU (Bill Franques, Krystal Bennett, Chris Parent)
7. North Dakota State (Ryan Parrault)
8. Notre Dame (Bernadette Cafarelli, Lizzie Mikes)
9. Houston (Allison McClain, David Bassity)
10. Marshall (Steven Schoon, Marshall Sports Information)
Best Cover: Alabama (Rich Davi, Douglas Walker, Brent Hollingsworth)
Women's Soccer Guide/University
1. Kansas (Brad Gilbert, Jackie Berra, Jeff Jacobsen)
2. Notre Dame (Chris Masters, Cathy Scholz)
3. Alabama (Aaron Jordan, Erin Hill)
Best Cover: Louisiana Tech (Kane McGuire)