Tech vs. SJSU Game Three Notes
Williams hits his 11th home run, Petersen goes 7.0 for his fifth win
May 6, 2012
- Louisiana Tech defeated San Jose State 4-1 to sweep the series.
- The sweep was the first in conference action since winning a four-game series against Sacramento State from May 7-9, 2010.
- Bulldogs are now 23-23 on the year and 6-9 in Western Athletic Conference play.
- Tech has won five straight games, tied for the longest this season.
- The Bulldogs have won five consecutive conference home games for the first time since April 25-May 9, 2010 and five straight conference games for the first time since April 26-May 9, 2009.
- First series this season in which the Bulldogs starting pitchers have all gone seven innings.
- Junior Trevor Petersen threw a season-high seven innings. His longest since April 29, 2011 against Nevada.
- Petersen won his third straight appearance and second straight start.
- He has allowed two earned runs in his last 16.2 innings.
- Ryan Gebhardt successfully stole home to give Tech a 3-1 lead in the third inning.
- The stolen base was the third such SB this season as Austin Hedges and Beau Bayliss have done the same earlier this season.
- Senior Alex Williams hit his 11th home run of the year and 33rd of his career.
- With his home run in the first, Williams has now reached base safely in 16 straight games and recorded a base hit in 10 consecutive games.
- Williams is now third all-time in RBI in program history with 168.
- He is now fifth in runs scored in school history with 136.
- Williams has started 113 consecutive games dating back to last season.
- Williams played in his 212th career game to place him alone in fourth in school history.
- Junior Jaime Gilley picked up his second save of the season and his career.
- Gilley’s five strikeouts were the most in relief this season since striking out seven against Dallas Baptist on March 24 and overall since striking out six at Oral Roberts in a start on April 4.
- Junior Tyler Qualls tied a career-high with three hits, matching his total against Vanderbilt on February 29.