Posted Apr 4, 2006 16:36:51
Junior Forward Paul Millsap Will Forego Senior Season for NBA Draft
RUSTON -- After leaving a lasting legacy in a Louisiana Bulldog uniform, superstar junior forward Paul Millsap announced Tuesday afternoon held at the Charles Wyly Athletic Center that he will be leaving school early to enter the 2006 NBA Draft.
“This is an important and great day for Paul and his family,” Tech head coach Keith Richard said. “He’s looked hard at his options, and he’s made his decision, and I support him 100 percent in his pursuit of his NBA dreams.”
As of today, Millsap has become the first athlete in the history of college basketball to win the NCAA National Rebounding Championship three straight years after averaging 13.3 boards per game. He led the nation after averaging 12.5 rebounds per game and also as a sophomore at 12.4 rpg.
According to a statement by Millsap, the junior’s decision to leave early is “(to help my mother) enjoy the life she deserves.”
“It’s been a privilege to watch Paul practice and play for the past three years,” Richard said. “More so than any other player I’ve had, I think he has the best chance to be the first player I’ve coached to play in the NBA. I’m very excited for him.”
Millsap leaves the Bulldogs as the second leading rebounder in school history at 1,172 career boards and seventh in scoring with 1,709 points. His 26 double-doubles this past season also lead the NCAA.
Millsap’s accolades include:
-First team All-WAC
-WAC All-Defensive Team
-Xbox Live WAC Player of the Week (four times)
-Finalist for Oscar Robertson Award
-Wooden Award Nominee
-Rivals Third team All-American
-Sports Illustrated Third team Mid-Season All-American
-USBWA All-District VII team
-Ranked No. 1 in NCAA rebounds with 13.3 per game. Became the first player to ever win three consecutive rebounding titles.
-Shattered Thomas Assembly Center record with 28 rebounds against San Jose State on Feb. 15. Total was five shy of Tech great Charlie Bishop’s 33.
-Finished the season with 26 double-doubles, the most in the league.
-Conference total of 15.6 rebounds per game are new Western Athletic Conference record.
-Second on Tech’s all-time rebounding list with 1,171 boards behind only Mike Green.
-Seventh on Tech’s all-time scoring list with 1,701 points.
- First-Team All-WAC
- First-Team All-Louisiana
- First-Team All-NABC District 8
- Basketball Time’s All-South Team selection
- Named to the Preseason All-WAC team
- Named to Dick Vitale’s All-Windex and All-Rip
Van Winkle teams in Nov. issue of ESPN The Magazine
- LSWA Player of the Week (12-15-04)
- LSWA Player of the Week (1-5-04)
- LSWA Player of the Week (1-24-05)
- WAC Player of the Week (1-24-05)
- WAC Player of the Week (2-14-05)
- WAC Freshman of the Year
- Second-Team All-WAC Selection
- WAC All-Newcomer
- NABC All-District 8 first team selection
- Second-Team Rivals.com All-Freshman team
- Louisiana Freshman of the Year
- First-Team All-Louisiana Selection
- Two-Time Louisiana Sports Writers Association Player of the Week (Dec. 8-14, Feb. 2-8)
- WAC Player of the Week (Jan. 19-25)