Oct. 24, 2015
Final Stats |
Louisiana Tech-45, Middle Tennessee-16
Oct. 24, 2015
Joe Aillet Stadium
• LA Tech captains were Kentrell Brice, Vernon Butler, Kenneth Dixon and Jeff Driskel.
• Today's announced attendance: 15,024.
• With the 45-16 victory, LA Tech now leads the all-time series over MT, 4-1.
• LA Tech is now a perfect 3-0 versus Middle Tennessee when playing in Ruston.
• LA Tech improved to 5-3 on the season and 3-1 in C-USA play. They are now tied with Southern Miss for first place in the west division and are one victory away from being bowl eligible.
• Skip Holtz recorded career win No. 106 as a head coach.
• LA Tech extended its home winning streak to eight, the longest since Sept. 1, 2001-Nov. 23, 2002 when the Bulldogs won eight straight (two wins came at Independence Stadium in Shreveport).
• During the eight-game home winning streak, the Bulldogs average margin of victory is 33.5. Six of the eight victories have been by at least 29 points, including three of the four home games this season.
• The 45 points was the second most scored by the Bulldogs this season (62 versus Southern in season opener). It was also the most points scored by the Bulldogs in this series versus Middle Tennessee.
• The 29-point victory was the largest margin of victory in this series.
• The Bulldogs outscored the Blue Raiders, 21-3 in the second quarter. LA Tech has now outscored its opponents, 125-46, in the second quarter this season.
• This marked the first game played in the rain at Joe Aillet Stadium since Nov. 23, 2013 versus Tulsa.
• Middle Tennessee won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half. LA Tech began the game on offense.
• The Bulldog offense racked up 470 total yards. They have registered 400+ total yards in all eight games this season, continuing a program record to start the season.
• The offense is averaging 480.6 total yards per game this season which ranks as the third most through eight games in program history behind only the 2012 and 1998 teams.
• Jeff Driskel continues to improve upon his single season career highs as the quarterback was 18-of-28 for 294 yards and two touchdowns, connecting with eight different receivers. He was extremely efficient in the first half, going 12-of-15 for 222 yards and two touchdowns.
• Jeff Driskel has thrown at least 18 completions in every game except the season opener on Southern when he only played in the first half.
• Jeff Driskel has thrown a touchdown pass in all eight games this season, throwing two today to bring his season total to 15.
• With the 294 passing yards, Jeff Driskel is still averaging over 300 yards passing with an average of 301.1 per game.
• Ryan Higgins came in at quarterback late in the second quarter and late in the fourth quarter. He had two rushes for 15 yards and was 1-of-5 throwing.
• Trent Taylor recorded a team-high eight receptions for 97 yards. Five receptions came in the first quarter and seven came in the first half.
• Trent Taylor now has 159 career receptions putting him in 10th place all-time in school history.
• Trent Taylor now has 67 receptions this season, a new season high. The junior wide receiver had 64 receptions in 2014.
• Trent Taylor recorded a 40-yard reception in the first quarter, his longest of the season and also ties his career long.
• Carlos Henderson recorded his lone reception of the game in the first quarter, but made the most of it with a 55-yard grab for a touchdown, his longest reception of the season and his first touchdown of the season.
• After missing the last two games due to injury, Kenneth Dixon came back to rush a team-high 14 times for 66 yards to go along with four touchdowns (three rushing and one receiving).
• Kenneth Dixon needed only seven yards rushing to eclipse 4,000 for his career. He now has 4,059 total.
• Kenneth Dixon now has 62 career rushing touchdowns, one shy of tying for the seventh most in NCAA history, and 73 career overall touchdowns which is the fourth most in NCAA history.
• Kenneth Dixon has scored a touchdown in 34 career games. The NCAA record is 38 by Tim Tebow (Florida 2006-09).
• Kenneth Dixon recorded four touchdowns, the fourth time he has scored four in a game. The last time was Nov. 10, 2012 at Texas State when he had five scores.
• Kenneth Dixon has now scored three or more touchdowns in 12 games in his career, the second most in NCAA history behind Keenan Reynolds (Navy).
• Kenneth Dixon has now recorded multiple touchdowns in 20 games in his career.
• Kenneth Dixon has now scored rushing and receiving in eight games in his career, three of which have come this season.
• Kenneth Dixon reeled in a 35-yard reception for a touchdown, giving him five receiving touchdowns of 30 yards or more in his career. He has 12 career overall touchdowns of 30+ yards. • Three of Kenneth Dixon's touchdowns came in the first half, marking the first time since Nov. 18, 2014 he scored three times in a single half.
• Kenneth Dixon rushed up the middle for five yards and the touchdown to give LA Tech a 7-0 lead with 9:51 left in the first quarter.
• Jeff Driskel hung in the pocket and took a shot but not before he hit Carlos Henderson on a deep post for 55 yards and a touchdown to give LA Tech a 14-7 lead with 3:54 left in the first quarter.
• Kenneth Dixon broke a couple of shoe-string tackles and rushed off the right tackle for a 15-yard touchdown to give LA Tech a 21-10 lead with 10:12 remaining in the second quarter.
• Jeff Driskel hit Kenneth Dixon for a 35-yard touchdown on the first play after a recovered fumble, giving LA Tech a 35-10 lead with 7:25 left in the second quarter.
• Kenneth Dixon recorded a one-yard rushing touchdown with 10:24 left in the fourth quarter to give LA Tech a 42-10 advantage.
• The Bulldog defense held the Blue Raiders to just 33 total rushing yards on 24 rushing attempts for an average of 1.4 per rush, the least allowed this season. MT had just two total rushing yards in the first half on 15 carries.
• This marked the fifth game (out of eight) this season the Bulldogs have now allowed more than 100 yards on the ground.
• The Bulldog defense only allowed 16 points by the Blue Raiders. In the four home games this season, they have not allowed more than 17 points and are allowing only 15.5 points per game.
• During the eight-game home winning streak, the defense is only allowing 90.25 rushing yards per game.
• The Bulldog defense forced three turnovers, marking the third time this season they have registered at least three in a single game.
• Jaylon Ferguson had a sack late in the first quarter which was also a forced fumble, the first of his career. The redshirt freshman also registered a sack midway through the second quarter, giving him a team-high five this season. He has recorded a sack in every game he has started.
• Bryson Abraham picked off a screen pass and ran untouched for 34 yards and the touchdown. It was the senior's third career pick-six with all three coming this season (Louisiana-Lafayette and UTSA). It gave LA Tech a 28-10 lead with 8:45 left in the second quarter.
• Bryson Abraham is tied for second among active career leaders for interceptions returned for a touchdown.
• Adairius Barnes forced a fumble and recovered it midway through the second quarter. It was the senior cornerback's second career forced fumble and third career fumble recovery.
• Beau Fitte went up high and snagged an interception on the Blue Raiders opening drive of the second half. It was his first interception of the season and the third of his career.
• Immanuel Turner registered a sack with just 30 seconds left in the game, his first career sack.
• Jonathan Barnes missed wide right on a 34-yard field goal attempt with 58 seconds remaining in the first half. It was only his second miss of the season inside 39 yards (11-of-13).
• Jonathan Barnes connected on a 24-yard field goal with 1:49 left in the game, giving LA Tech a 45-16 lead. He is now 16-of-19 on field goal attempts this season.
• Jonathan Barnes hit on all six of his PAT kicks, remaining perfect on the season (36-36).
• Gerald Shouse had five punts for 168 yards, averaging 33.6 yards per punt. Three of the five were downed inside the 20.