Dec. 6, 2014
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -
Marshall – 26, Louisiana Tech – 23
Conference USA Championship Game
Dec. 6, 2014
John C. Edwards Stadium; Huntington, W.Va.
• Today's announced attendance: 23,711
• LA Tech and Marshall are now tied, 1-1, in the all-time series after the Bulldogs defeated the Thundering Herd, 26-0, in 1942 in Ruston.
• Skip Holtz is now 2-1 in Conference USA Championship games after he previously guided East Carolina to back-to-back conference titles in 2008 and 2009.
• Louisiana Tech won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half.
• Kenneth Dixon broke the school record for total touchdowns scored in a career (59) with three rushing touchdowns against the Thundering Herd today. With three rushing touchdowns, Dixon also tied a LA Tech school record with 52 career rushing touchdowns.
• Kenneth Dixon carried the ball 20 times for a total of 156 yards to move into sole possession of second place all-time in LA Tech history with 3,347 career rushing yards. Dixon needs only five yards to match Daniel Porter’s school record career mark of 3,352 yards.
• Dixon moved into sole possession of first place all-time in LA Tech history for career touchdowns (58) after rushing for a 30-yard score to put the Bulldogs up 17-7 over Marshall with under 8:00 remaining in the 2nd quarter.
• Dixon has now rushed for at least one touchdown in 12 straight games, which is the longest active streak in the FBS.
• Dixon is now second all-time on LA Tech’s career scoring list after three rushing touchdowns gave the junior running back 354 career points, second behind Matt Nelson’s 360 career points.
• With 156 rushing yards against Marshall today, Dixon now has 17 career 100-yard rushing games, which remains first all-time in LA Tech history. Dixon is also second in Conference USA with 21 rushing touchdowns this season.
• Cody Sokol completed 7-of-20 passes for 72 yards and one interception in today’s game versus Marshall. Out of Sokol’s seven completions, six were thrown to different receivers with Sterling Griffin leading the way with one catch for a 30-yard reception.
• Nick Thomason led the Bulldog defense with 12 total tackles (4 solo), 0.5 sacks, two quarterback hurries and one interception. As a team, LA Tech had six tackles for a loss and forced two fumbles.
• With three fumbles and one interception, LA Tech’s defense has now forced 40 turnovers forced this season, a mark that currently leads the nation.
• After forcing four turnovers today versus Marshall, LA Tech’s defense has now forced at least three turnovers in five consecutive games. The Bulldogs have also forced at least one interception in all but two games this season. LA Tech has forced at least four turnovers in six games this season, including three consecutive games for the Bulldogs.
• DeAngelo Brooks recovered his first career fumble with 3:00 remaining in the first quarter from the 33-yard line, which resulted in Kenneth Dixon rushing for a 33-yard touchdown to give LA Tech 157 points off turnovers this season, a mark that currently leads the nation.
• For the first time this season, LA Tech’s defense held Marshall scoreless in the first quarter after taking a 10-0 lead over the Herd early. It is the third time this season Marshall has trailed after the opening quarter.
• Houston Bates sacked Marshall QB Rakeem Cato for a loss of six yards with under 12 minutes remaining in the first half to force a punt. Bates now has 5.5 sacks this season for a loss of 47 total yards.
• After LA Tech recovered a fumble in Marshall territory and Dixon capitalized with a 30-yard rushing touchdown, the Bulldogs now have 164 points off turnovers this season, a mark that continues to lead the nation.
• Nick Thomason picked off Marshall QB Rakeem Cato for his second career interception with 4:05 remaining in the 3rd quarter. LA Tech took over at its own 49-yard line.
• Vernon Butler forced his first career fumble with under one minute remaining in the 3rd quarter, but it was recovered by Marshall.
• Jonathan Barnes connected on a 26-yard field goal with 7:54 remaining in the 1st quarter to put LA Tech up 3-0 over Marshall. Barnes is now 12-of-18 on field goals for the season.
• Deep-snapper Darrell Travis recovered a fumble after Marshall muffed a 26-yard punt by McPherson. LA Tech took over at the Marshall 40-yard line with 8:33 remaining in the first half.
• Logan McPherson broke a Conference USA Championship Game record with 10 punts in a single game for a total of 301 yards (30.1 avg.) and a long of 39 yards. Ten punts is also a new career high for McPherson. His previous high was eight punts in a single game, which occurred twice in his LA Tech career (NC State, 2013; UTSA, 2013).
• With just over 2:00 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, Paul Turner blocked a Marshall punt for his first career blocked punt, which was recovered by Le’Vander Liggins and returned 20 yards to the Marshall 19-yard line for LA Tech’s fourth turnover of the game.
• Carlos Henderson moved up to fourth place all-time in LA Tech history after totaling 105 kickoff return yards today versus Marshall for a total of 750 kick return yards this season. He entered the game with 645 return yards this season and jumped two spots after five kick returns today versus the Herd.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Academic Center
- Archived News
- Athletic Training
- Business Partners
- Hotel Partners
- LA Tech Hall of Fame
- Official Logo Guide
- Recruiting Questionnaires
- SA Handbook
- Sponsorship & Advertising
- Wheels for Dogs