Sept. 15, 2009
HATTIESBURG, Miss. - Louisiana Tech sophomore Cody Santone fired a final round 66 to lead the Bulldogs to a ninth-place team finish in the 2009 Sam Hall Intercollegiate hosted by Southern Mississippi at the Hattiesburg Country Club.
Santone's five-under-par 66, which included five birdies and no bogies, tied for the seventh lowest round in Louisiana Tech golf history. He finished the tournament with a three-round total of three-under-par 210 and in a tie for 10th place in the individual competition which featured golfers from 15 schools.
"He made some putts today," said Tech head coach Jeff Parks. "He hit the ball great. I think he hit 15 of 18 greens and made five birdies and no bogies. He got up and down a couple of times from some tough spots."
Santone's 66 tied for the third lowest round of the tournament and was the lowest round by a Bulldog since Matthew Harvey's 65 shot at the Squire Creek Invitational in October of 2008.
Kennesaw State's Jeff Karlsson won the individual competition with a tournament total of 10-under-par 203 while Southeastern Louisiana's Cedric Scotto finished as the runnerup with a 209.
The Bulldogs opened the event with a team total of seven-over-par 291 but followed that up with a one-over-par 285 and an even par 284 over the final two rounds to finish in ninth place.
"We never stopped competing even though the playing conditions were really rough," Parks said. "They played hard and kept grinding. However, if we played the entire tournament the way we are capable of playing, we could have contended. It was a great first tourney and a good learning experience. We have a game plan to get better, and we'll try to put it into action next week."
The two-day tournament saw plenty of rain as play was suspended Monday evening due to darkness, forcing all 15 teams to complete their second round Tuesday morning. The final round started at 10 a.m. Tuesday before more rain forced another delay before action was finally completed during the afternoon.
Southeastern Louisiana won the team title with a seven-under-par 845, edging Memphis and New Orleans by one stroke.
The Bulldogs return to action next week at the Waterchase Invitational in Fort Worth hosted by Texas-Arlington.
Louisiana Tech Golf Single Round Records
1. 62, Roy Pace Ruston Country Club (1962)
2. 64, Matthew Harvey Squire Creek Country Club (Fall, 2007)
3. 65, Clint Shepard Squire Creek Country Club (Fall, 2007)
3. 65, Brad Wright Louisiana Tech Invitational (Fall, 2000)
3. 65, Preston Smith ????
3. 65, Matthew Harvey Squire Creek Invitational (Fall, 2008)
7. 66, Brad Wright ULM Invitational (Fall, 2000)
7. 66, Derek Busby Homewood Suites Intercollegiate (Spring, 2005)
7. 66, Roy Pace Gulf States Conference Championships (1962)
10. 67, Jay Caserta WAC Championships (Spring, 2002)
10. 67, Corey Bartlett Louisiana Classic (Spring, 2006)
10. 67, Andre Prejean Hal Sutton Invitational (Fall, 1997)
10. 67, Andre Prejean Louisiana Tech Invitational (Fall, 1997)
10. 67, Mark Powell Central Bank College AM (Fall, 1977)
10. 67, Randy Carstens Morris Williams Tournament (Spring, 1978)
10. 67, Roy Pace Gulf States Conference Championships (1963)