Tech Tennis Wins Home Opener
Updated Feb 2, 2003 01:03:30
RUSTON -- Senior Lauren Longbothom rallied from a one set deficit to win her match and clinch the Lady Techsters' (1-1) first victory of season, a 4-3 win over Sam Houston State.
"We've been working real hard and it showed," head coach Greg Hearn said. "Sam Houston State is a mirror image of us, and the match came down to who was going to fight the longest."
Longbothom lost the first set of her match 6-4 but rallied to win the second set 6-4 before slamming home the win with a 6-1 third set.
"Lauren clinched, she won the deciding match," Hearn said. "I'm happy with the team's play, but we need to improve our poise."
In the singles matches the two teams split with Saharai Uriarte winning her match 6-3, 6-3 over Sam Houston State's No. 1 player, Mounia Hassib.
"Saharai played real clean throughout her match. She was playing a good player who likes to work the court, and Saharai took it away from her," Hearn said.
Also picking up a singles victory was Anabella Duque (6-4, 7-6).
The deciding factor ended up being the doubles play, where Tech won two of three matches.
The tandem of Duque and Holly Ready cruised to victory over Fatima-Zahara Benboubker and Hassib (8-3) while Uriarte and Longbothem added to their singles' success with a 9-8 doubles victory.
The two schools fought out a 4-3 score last year with the Lady Bearkats coming out on top.
Tech will return to action tomorrow when it hosts Stephen F. Austin at 11 a.m.
"The SFA match is going to be a battle," Hearn said. "When we start playing consistently, we'll start winning consistently."
1. Saharai Uriarte (Tech) def. Mounia Hassib (SHS), 6-3, 6-3
2. Fatima-Zahara Benboubker (SHS) def. Holly Ready (Tech), 7-5, 6-2
3. Anabella Duque (Tech) def. Tara Shelander (SHS), 6-4, 7-6
4. Erika Rudich (SHS) def. Morgan Majors (Tech), 6-0, 6-0
5. Lauren Longbothom (Tech) def. Jennifer Pechal, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Shaneen Ludwig (SHS) def. Danielle Landry (Tech), 6-3, 6-2
1. Duque/Ready (Tech) def. Benboubker/Hassib (SHS), 8-3
2. Uruarte/Longbothom (Tech) def. Rudich/Shelander (SHS), 9-8
3. Ludwig/Pechal (SHS) def. Majors/Landry (Tech), 8-6