Tennis Team Falls To Delta State
Posted Apr 5, 2004 15:48:18
Delta State's doubles win was the difference Sunday as the Lady Statesmen took a 4-3 win over Louisiana Tech in tennis action at the DSU tennis courts in Cleveland, Miss.
Louisiana Tech saw a two-match win streak snapped and fell to 5-9 while Delta State climbed to 13-3.
The teams split singles matches 3-3, but Delta State set the tone early on by winning all three doubles match to take the crucial doubles point heading into singles play.
Tech managed to keep things close in the doubles matches, losing 8-5, 8-3 and 8-4, but couldn't overcome giving up that point.
"We played Delta State very close, but couldn't quite get it done," Tech interim coach Terrence DeJongh said. "I think our players were tired. We played five matches over seven days, and the players just didn't have enough energy to get the win, even though they came close."
Saharai Uriate picked up a No. 1 singles win for Tech, downing Paula Uchida 7-5, 6-2, while Holly Ready picked up her first singles win of the season with a 6-2, 6-4 victory in No. 2 play against DSU's Wendy Owen.
"That was great to see because Holly means so much to this team," DeJongh said. "It's tough playing in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots like she has. She's come close in so many matches but hadn't been able to get that win. It's good that she's finally able to put that behind her."
Anabella Duque was the other singles winner for Tech, taking the No. 5 match 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (10-5).
Delta State 4, Louisiana Tech 3
DSU Tennis Courts, Cleveland, Miss.
1. Wendy Owen/Natalie Dean (DSU) def. Saharai Uriarte/Avril Martinez (Tech), 8-5.
2. Minday Salas/Shani van der Merwe (DSU) def. Monica Kelly/Holly Ready (Tech), 8-3.
3. Lucy Johnson/Paula Uchida (DSU) def. Andrea Moncada/Katie Westbrook (Tech), 8-4.
1. Uriarte (Tech) def. Uchida (DSU) 7-5, 6-2.
2. Holly Ready (Tech) def. Owen (DSU) 6-2, 6-4.
3. Dean (DSU) def. Kelly (Tech) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
4. van der Merwe (DSU) def. Martinez (Tech) 6-2, 6-2.
5. Duque (Tech) def. Salas (DSU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (10-5).
6. Johnson (DSU) def. Westbrook (Tech) 6-3, 6-4